5-Minute Postcard Sessions for “Work-In-Progress” (WIP) Papers
Instructions for Authors:
Continuing with the new FIE tradition format for WIP papers, authors will be able to take advantage of the format to gather feedback and ideas for their current projects.
The session will have two (2) distinct components outlined below:
PART 1: 5-minute “Postcard” Presentations by Presenters
Presenters will have 5 minutes total to introduce themselves and overview their work using the 2-slide postcard presentation slide template provided. During the 5-minute presentation, there are no questions or answers (Q&As). All Q&A will be during the poster display time.
**Please note that the projectors provided have a 16:9 ratio format.**
PART 2: Poster Session
Presenters will display visuals/poster and answer questions of those who come talk with them.
PLEASE READ the following instructions:
1. Use the PowerPoint Template to create your postcard presentation. You may color it differently, use different fonts, insert images, etc., but keep the size of the postcard slides as they are. Also, you CAN ONLY use 2 SLIDES (not 1 or 3)….2!
2. The purpose of the postcard presentation (2 slides) is to give yourself the opportunity to provide an overview of your actual poster (an elevator pitch) to the session attendees. Be sure to put out the questions that might entice people to meet with you.
3. You will have exactly 5 minutes and the 2 postcard presentation slides to make your pitch. We understand that 5 minutes will not provide sufficient time to present all the details of the work. Instead, we encourage you to focus on aspects of your work’s progress and findings to date that will spark further conversation in the rest of the session. (It is recommended that you NOT attempt to put your entire poster on the 2 slides, people will not be able to read it). You SHOULD put enough information on the slides to make people want to come talk to you during the poster display portion of the session. Whether you are finished or not, at the end of your 5 minutes, we will move on.
1. You have several options, you can:
a) choose to print a single poster that is no larger than 36 inches x 48 inches (approximately the size of an A0 poster), in either landscape or portrait;
b) choose to print a series of single sheets of 8.5-inch x 11-inch paper to create a maximum 16 sheet grid, or choose to have no visuals. The design of your “poster” will be at your discretion. If you want people to talk to you during “poster” portion of the session, you may need a visual to refer to discuss your session.
2. At the session, we will have poster pins for you to pin your poster (or whatever you bring) to the poster stand.
3. IMPORTANT: Upload your postcard PowerPoint to EDAS no later than 11:59 pm, Eastern Time, Monday, October 14. This deadline is important because the moderator will merge all the slides into one slide set for the session. If you include more than 2 slides, the moderator will cut your presentation to 2 slides.
4. Be sure to arrive at the session early. By arriving early, you will have enough time to check that the moderator has your slides and you have time to display your visuals before the session starts.
• You are required to print and bring the poster yourself
• The PowerPoint presentation may have animations and timers, however, only 2 slides are allowed, and you must remain in the 5-minute time limit. No exceptions.